About University of Sunderland
The University of Sunderland has 20,000 students based in campuses on the North East coast of England, in London and Hong Kong and at its global partnerships with learning institutions in 15 countries. International students make up 37% of our student numbers. We’re internationally known for the quality of our teaching and research, and all of our research-active staff also teach, which means that you benefit from cutting-edge research at every stage of your degree. We’re proud that 10 areas of our research are considered ‘world-leading’; according to the most recent Research Excellence Framework, which assesses the quality of research in all of the UK’s universities. The University is rated Silver in the latest national Teaching Excellence Framework, which recognises our achievements for employer engagement, professional practice, academic support and excellent teaching. The University of Sunderland was also awarded five QS stars in teaching, employability, internationalisation, inclusiveness and outstanding facilities in 2019.
Sunderland is well known as ‘the friendly university’, and that’s because we genuinely care about the wellbeing of all our students. Our job is to make sure you have the best possible experience at university, and so if you need any support while you’re with us, we’ll do our very best to help you.
The North East of England has one of the most beautiful and varied landscapes in the UK. It doesn’t take long to travel from bustling urban areas to ancient forests and national parks. Sunderland itself is right on the dramatic North East coastline, and there are miles of beautiful sandy beaches just a ten minute walk from the University.
In the 2018 Liveability Index, Sunderland was named as the best place to live for the under 30s due to low living costs, high job satisfaction, and general happiness and wellbeing. Sunderland is one of the safest cities in the UK – in 2018 we were ranked 7th in the ‘The UK’s safest places to live’ survey by Compare the Market.
The North East is also one of the most affordable regions of the UK, which helps make living and studying in Sunderland extremely attractive. At the University of Sunderland you’ll be encouraged to take on relevant placements with local, regional or national companies. You’ll also have the chance to learn from visiting speakers and take masterclasses given by industry experts. Study a University of Sunderland course and you’ll graduate with more than just an excellent academic qualification: you’ll also graduate with enviable job prospects and lifelong friends.
Why University of Sunderland
Awards and Accreditations
- Ranked top 100 in the Guardian University Guide 2022
- Ranked 101-150 in QS World University Rankings by Subject 2022: Hospitality & Leisure Management
- Ranked top 120 for Business and Management Studies in the Complete University Guide 2021
- Ranked 2nd in the UK for Undergraduate Education (Guardian University League Tables 2020)
- Ranked 9th in the ‘International’ category of the Whatuni Student Choice Awards (WUSC) 2019
- QS Stars World University Ranking 2019 awarded Sunderland five stars in teaching, employability, internationalisation, inclusiveness and outstanding facilities
- Sunderland is the second most affordable city in the UK, according to a 2018 ‘Graduate salaries in the UK’ survey conducted by Prospects Luminate
- Ranked 16th (out of 131 UK universities) in the ‘University of the Year’ category of the Whatuni Student Choice Awards (WUSC) 2019
- Ranked 9th (out of 131 UK universities) in the ‘Student Support’ category of the Whatuni Student Choice Awards (WUSC) 2019
- Sunderland is the ‘most inclusive university in the UK (HESA 2015/16)
- In 2018, the City of Sunderland was ranked 7th in the ‘The UK’s safest places to live’ survey by Compare the Market
- Hospitality, Events, Aviation and Tourism is number one for Student Satisfaction in the UK (Complete University Guide 2021)
- Law has the highest increase in category, rising 21 places in 2021 (from 77th to 56th) (Complete University Guide 2021)
- Shortlisted as University of the Year, the leading category in this year’s THE – Times Higher Education – Annual Awards 2021. Watch the nomination video here.
How to Apply
How to Apply
Your application is being processed and verified with all your supporting documents.
If your application is successful, we will issue an Offer Letter to you and email it to you within 5 working days.